Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Googling Children's Music

Google has introduced a beta version of Google Trends, which tracks the popularity of certain search terms. What can this tell us about the popularity of children's music? A lot (though it means nothing to me in terms of what our family actually listens to).

Here's Dan Zanes. A spike in mid-2005 -- I'm guessing there must've been some Noggin-related activity around then. The graph only appears to go through early-April, so there's little evidence of a Catch That Train! bump in the available data. Looks pretty good until you compare him to...

Laurie Berkner. Note the spike in early 2006 -- that would be the release of We Are... The Laurie Berkner Band DVD. Again, looks pretty good until you compare her to...

They Might Be Giants. I'm guessing the spike in mid-2004 has to do with the release of The Spine, their last non-children's release of new material. So they have the advantage of non-kids-related stuff, too. But you don't need that if you're...

The Wiggles. Hoo-boy, those other lines are getting mighty flat. But even that's not all that impressive once you type in...

High School Musical. Breaking Free, indeed.

3 comments:

deb in sf said...

surely, I've missed something, but what is "high school musical"?

Anyway, just proves to me what I know already - I'm so NOT regular. Definitely NOT trendy. Used to bother me when I was a kid - never got "it".

In general, people seem to love easy. I think DZ is a little more challenging, so I wouldn't guess he'd ever get trend numbers. eh?

Deb in SF

Stefan said...

Deb, High School Musical is a Disney Channel musical (natch) aimed at tweens that's been very popular. Since we have neither cable TV or a tween in our household, I've never seen it, but have heard 2 or 3 songs on satellite radio. Not bad, I guess, but nothing special.

I didn't want to read anything into the relative popularity (and whether that's good or bad) of the artists, but I suspect it has to do more with their presence (or lack thereof) on video/TV.

deb in sf said...

I know. It's better not to. I just can't help my judgemental streak. I should try harder. ... You're probably right about the TV/vid issue.