Friday, July 28, 2006

Review in Brief: Scat Like That - A Musical Word Odyssey - Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer

Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer have been nominated for 11 GRAMMY awards (winning two of them) and are talented musicians and songwriters in both kids' and non-kids fields. So how come I didn't adore Scat Like That!, their 2005 GRAMMY-nominated kids' album? There's nothing wrong with the album's execution -- the musicianship and production are strong -- and the concept is intriguing, focusing on all sorts of wordplay. And there are some very good songs amidst the wide-ranging musical styles used here. My favorite is Marxer's midtempo blues number "Dagnabbit!," which matches Marxer's expressive vocals to amusing lyrics about a kid who let the wrong word slip out in a moment of frustration ("I need some words with consonants / To say what I must say / Words with B and D and P / And S and T and K"). I particularly liked the song's 2-minute musical outro. I also find it hard not to like a song titled "I Love Pie" which is set to a Latin meringue melody. (I don't care if it's not a meringue -- though I'm pretty sure it is -- "pie" and "meringue" is too good not to believe.) I think what makes me so blase' about the album is the feeling that the disk's educational thrust (it is an album about wordplay after all) was getting in the way of enjoying it. The best songs -- "Dagnabbit!" or "A Pirate's Song," perhaps -- would fit on any album of good kids' music and the wordplay themes of those songs are just happy byproducts of the songs themselves. In this case, it doesn't reach the manic heights of their excellent 2001 collaboration with Brave Combo, All Wound Up!. The album is best for kids ages 6 through 10, especially if they're into words and all the fun things one can do with them.

1 comment:

deb in sf said...

The IM4U song sample starts with a ukulele and I got so excited (i'm learning to play) (but don't worry, I don't have garage band on my computer - only on my husband's) (and I don't think he'd let me use it for that). But woah! I couldn't even listen to the whole sample. Too cute, even for me.

My son walked in while I was listening to the samples and said "I like that music" and then walked out.

You're right. They're super pro and it should grab me, but somehow their samples made me want to poke out my eyes with sticks.

Without the benefit of the whole songs that you have, it's hard to really tell. They have a lot of the components that make me love certain entertainers (a banjo, women's voices, humor, tons of skill), but they didn't hook me or Max.

thanks for showing us something new...
deb in sf